Coconut Velvet Pie
A rich coconut custard pie with a smooth and velvety texture.
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon salt
5 large egg yolks
2 tablespoons butter margarine
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 (15-ounce) can cream of coconut (such as Coco Lopez)
1/2 cup half-and-half (light cream)
1 (9-inch) baked pie shell
1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
1/2 cup whipping cream
- Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt in large saucepan over medium heat; cook until thick and bubbly, stirring constantly. Once boiling, stir for 1 more minute, then remove from heat.
- Beat egg yolks slightly in a small bowl. Stir a small amount of sugar mixture into the yolks. Then slowly pour warmed yolks back into saucepan, stirring rapidly to prevent curdling.
- Reduce heat to low; cook for about 2 minutes, stirring continuously, until very thick. Remove from heat; stir in butter, cream of coconut and half-and-half.
- Pour into baked pie shell. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 3 hours or until set.
- Meanwhile, toast shredded coconut in small saucepan until lightly browned. Remove from heat. Cool.
- Just before serving chilled pie, whip cream to stiff peaks; spread over pie. Sprinkle with coconut.
Makes 8 servings.
Note: Cream of coconut is a sweetened, coconut-flavored dairy product, not to be confused with 'coconut cream', which is extra-rich coconut milk.