Coffee Cream Pie
A smooth, coffee-flavored cream filling and a melted semisweet chocolate-infused graham cracker crust makes this pie a winner.
1/4 cup butter or margarine
2/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/3 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
1/4 cup boiling water
1 1/4 cups milk
5 large egg yolks
1 package plastic wrap
1 3/4 cups heavy cream
1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- For Crust: Melt butter and semisweet chocolate chips in a heavy saucepan over low heat. Stir in graham cracker crumbs then spoon into a buttered 9-inch pie plate, forming up the sides. Bake for 8 minutes. Cool.
- For Filling: Combine sugar and cornstarch in a large, heavy saucepan; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine instant coffee powder and boiling water; stir until dissolved.
- Gradually stir the coffee mixture, milk, and egg yolks into the sugar mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens and comes to a boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat, stirring smooth. Place plastic wrap directly on the surface and chill for 1 hour.
- For Topping: Beat cream to soft peaks then gradually add powdered sugar and beat until stiff.
- Fold 1 1/4 cups of the whipped cream into the coffee mixture, reserving the remainder for garnish.
- Spoon the coffee mixture into the graham cracker shell. Garnish with the reserved whipped cream.
Makes 8 servings.