An easy, holiday-perfect cranberry and apricot tart festively flavored with pumpkin pie spice.
1 (15-ounce) package folded refrigerated unbaked piecrust (2 crusts)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 (15.25-ounce) cans apricot halves, drained and cut into quarters
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 egg white
1 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 450°F (230°C).
- Line an ungreased 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom with one of the piecrusts. Press pastry into fluted sides of tart pan; trim edges. Line with a double thickness of foil. Bake in the preheated oven for 8 minutes. Remove foil. Bake 3 to 4 minutes more or until set and dry. Remove from oven. Reduce heat to 375°F (190°C).
- Combine the 1/2 cup sugar, the cornstarch, pumpkin pie spice, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Stir in apricots and cranberries. Spoon into prepared crust.
- Place remaining piecrust on a lightly floured surface. Cut with 1 and 2-inch star cutters or other desired cutters to make about 20 shapes.
- Stir together egg white and milk in a small mixing bowl. Brush egg white mixture over pastry shapes; sprinkle with the 1 tablespoon sugar. Arrange pastry shapes on top of filled tart.
- Bake in the 375°F (190°C) oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until pastry is golden and filling is bubbly. Cool on a wire rack. Remove sides of pan and place tart on a serving plate.
Makes 8 servings.
Tip: If you don't have pumpkin pie spice on hand, stir together 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger, and 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): calories: 413, total fat: 13g, saturated fat: 6g, cholesterol: 9mg, sodium: 272mg, carbohydrate: 73g, fiber: 3g, protein: 2g, vitamin A: 43%.
Recipe provided by Better Homes and Gardens - BHG.com a member of the Home and Family Network for the best of cooking, gardening, decorating and more. © 2003 Meredith Corporation. All Rights Reserved.