Lemon Meringue Pie
Simply put — this is the best lemon meringue pie recipe ever! Advance preparation is one of the keys to success in making this pie, have all ingredients pre-measured and ready to use.
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup vegetable shortening (preferably Crisco)
1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
3 tablespoons ice-cold water
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 1/2 cups water
3 large egg yolks, beaten
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (no substitutes!)
3 large egg whites, room temperature
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For Crust: Mix flour and salt in mixing bowl. Cut shortening into the flour with a pastry cutter, until mixture resembles tiny split peas. Add the ice water and mix in using a fork. Gather the dough into a ball.
- Roll dough on a lightly floured surface into about a 12-inch circle and place into an ungreased 9-inch regular or deep-dish pie plate.
- Place dough in an ungreased 9-inch regular or deep-dish pie plate and gently press dough into pie plate. Trim excess pastry, if needed and flute the edge. Prick crust thoroughly on the bottom and sides with the tines of a fork.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 425°F (220°C) on center rack of oven for about 15 to 18 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack before filling.
- For Filling: Mix sugar and cornstarch in 2-quart saucepan. Stir in water gradually. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and boils. Cook and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir half of the hot mixture quickly into beaten egg yolks, then blend into remaining hot mixture in saucepan. Reheat to boiling; cook and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat; stir in butter and lemon juice, mixing well. Pour into baked pie crust.
- For Meringue: With electric mixer, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time; continue beating until stiff and glossy. Add vanilla. Do not under beat. Spoon meringue onto hot pie filling; spread over filling, spreading meringue to edge of crust and adhering to prevent shrinking.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 400°F (205°C) on center rack of oven for about 5 to 7 minutes, or until a delicate golden brown. Cool away from drafts.
Makes 8 servings.
Tip: For a higher meringue, substitute the 6 tablespoons of sugar in the meringue for 1 (7-ounce) jar marshmallow creme.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): 463.9 calories; 36% calories from fat; 19.0g total fat; 88.3mg cholesterol; 173.3mg sodium; 86.6mg potassium; 70.2g carbohydrates; 0.7g fiber; 47.5g sugar; 69.5g net carbs; 4.6g protein.