Lemon Yogurt Meringue Pie
Yogurt adds a tangy creaminess to the lemon curd in this luscious version of lemon meringue pie.
1 (9-inch) baked pastry shell or crumb crust
2 cups granulated sugar
6 tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
3 egg yolks, well-beaten
3 egg whites
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Mix sugar, cornstarch, salt, yogurt, lemon juice and lemon rind in a heavy saucepan. Cook over moderate heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens. Reduce heat and continue cooking, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir a little of the hot mixture into beaten egg yolks. Add to remaining hot mixture, mixing well. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes.
- Cool slightly, stirring occasionally, and pour into baked pastry shell.
- Beat egg whites until stiff. Gradually beat in 6 tablespoons sugar.
- Spread meringue over filling.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 325°F (175°C) for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.