Magic Lemon Pie
This creamy lemon-flavored custard pie is baked in a cinnamon-scented crumb crust and is crowned with golden meringue.
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 (15-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
2 large eggs, separated
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- For Crust: In a medium mixing bowl, thoroughly mix graham cracker crumbs, butter, sugar and cinnamon. Press into a 9-inch pie pan. Bake for 10 minutes; set aside to cool.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F (160°C).
- For Filling: In a large mixing bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice, lemon peel and egg yolks. Beat until mixture thickens. Pour into cooled crust.
- For Meringue: In another mixing bowl, add cream of tartar to egg whites and beat until almost stiff. Gradually add sugar, beating until stiff and glossy but not dry. Spoon lightly over pie filling. Bake until lightly browned, about 15 minutes. Allow to cool before serving.
Makes 8 servings.