Classic southern buttermilk custard pie. For a dessert, this is down home comfort food nestled in a pastry crust.
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened
3 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
1 (9-inch) unbaked pie shell*
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Combine sugar, flour, and softened butter; beat with an electric mixer until blended.
- Add eggs, buttermilk, vanilla, and lemon extract. Beat at low speed until blended.
- Pour into unbaked pie shell.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until the center is set. Cool.
Makes 8 servings.
*Use store bought, ready-to-use pie pastry, or your favorite recipe for homemade pie pastry.