Make it a fiesta with this party-perfect margarita pie. Flavored with fresh limes and oranges—and an optional splash of tequila—this refreshingly sweet filling is complemented by a salty pretzel crust.
1 cup crushed mini pretzels
6 tablespoons melted butter
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 tablespoons boiling water
1 (0.25-ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
1 (12-ounce) can NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons grated lime peel
1/2 cup (4 to 5 medium limes) lime juice
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
2 tablespoons orange juice or orange-flavored liqueur
1 tablespoon tequila (optional)
2 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed - divided use
Coarse sanding sugar, fresh limes slices
- For Crust: Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Combine pretzel crumbs, butter and sugar in 9-inch deep-dish (4-cup volume) pie plate. Press crumb mixture onto bottom and upsides of pie plate.
- Bake for 5 to 7 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on wire rack.
- For Filling: Place gelatin in small bowl; stir in water. Let stand for 1 minute. Heat evaporated milk, sugar and softened gelatin in small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved and mixture is hot (do not boil). Pour into medium bowl. Refrigerate uncovered for 30 minutes until cool to touch. Add lime peel, lime juice, orange peel, orange juice and tequila; mix well. Gently whisk in 1 cup whipped topping. Pour into prepared pie crust.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours or until set. Pipe remaining 1 cup whipped topping around edge of pie. Sprinkle whipped topping border with coarse sugar. Garnish with lime slices.
Makes 8 servings.
- 3 cups (4 ounces) mini pretzels will be needed to get 1 cup crushed.
- To save time, you may substitute a store-bought 10-inch (9 ounces) graham cracker crumb crust for pretzel pie shell.
- If you do not own a pastry bag, a resealable heavy-duty plastic bag can be used. Cut corner of bag and pipe out whipped topping as desired.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories: 350 Calories from Fat: 140 Total Fat: 15 g Saturated Fat: 11 g Cholesterol: 40 mg Sodium: 400 mg Carbohydrates: 49 g Dietary Fiber: 1 g Sugars: 34 g Protein: 5 g.
Recipe and photograph are the property of Nestlé® and Meals.com, used with permission.