Mock Apple Pie with Crackers
Fool your friends and family with this mock 'apple' pie. They will never guess it's made with crackers!
Pastry for 1 (9-inch) double-crust pie*
1 3/4 cups coarsely crumbled buttery snack crackers (such as Ritz)
1 3/4 cups water
2 cups granulated sugar
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Roll out half the pastry and gently place in a 9-inch pie plate. Sprinkle crumbled crackers in bottom of crust and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, combine water, sugar and cream of tartar. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and lemon peel. Pour syrup over crackers. Dot with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Roll out remaining pastry and place over pie. Trim, seal and flute edges. Make a couple slits in to of crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until crust is crisp and golden.
- Cool completely before slicing.
Makes 8 servings.
*Use store bought, ready-to-use pie pastry, or your favorite recipe for homemade pie pastry.