New York Style Apple Pie
Baked in a spring-form pan, this nut-crusted, open-faced pie is as easy to make as it is delicious.
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup finely chopped nuts
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 cups peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped Golden Delicious apples
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped nuts (walnuts, hazelnuts, pecans or a combination of these)
1/2 cup applesauce
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- For Nut Pastry: In medium bowl with electric mixer, beat together butter and sugar until blended. Add flour, nuts and vanilla, mixing just until combined. Form dough into a ball; refrigerate if not using immediately.
- Prepare Nut Pastry. Pat pastry into bottom and 1 inch up sides of 9-inch springform pan. Bake 10 minutes.
- In large bowl, combine apples, raisins, nuts, applesauce, sugar, flour, cinnamon, and salt. Transfer mixture to pastry-lined pan.
- Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until apples are tender. Serve warm.
Makes 10 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/10 of recipe): Protein: 4g; Fat: 15g; Carbohydrate: 49g; Fiber: 3g; Sodium: 134mg; Cholesterol: 25mg; Calories: 333.
Recipe provided courtesy of Washington Apple Commission.