Old Fashion Fried Apple Pies
Serve these fried, orange-flavored apple pies with just a sprinking of powdered sugar.
1 cup cored, chopped Golden Delicious apples
1/4 cup orange juice - divided use
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon grated orange peel
2 teaspoons cornstarch
Pastry for 1 (9-inch) single-crust pie*
Oil for deep-frying
- Combine apples, 3 tablespoons orange juice, sugar, orange peel and salt; cover and cook gently 10 minutes or until apples are tender.
- Dissolve cornstarch in remaining tablespoon orange juice; stir into hot mixture. Cook and stir until thickened and smooth. Cool.
- Thinly roll out pastry; cut into 5-inch rounds. Place 1 1/2 tablespoons filling on each round; moisten edges with water, fold in half and seal edges well with fork. Prick a few small holes in tops of pies.
- Deep fry in oil heated to 375°F (190°C) about 3 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper towels.
- Sift powdered sugar over tops just before serving.
Makes 6 individual mini fried pies.
*Use store bought, ready-to-use pie pastry, or your favorite recipe for homemade pie pastry.
Recipe provided courtesy of Washington Apple Commission.