Ground nutmeg and cinnamon enhance the flavor of the pears in this simple fruit pie.
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
11 pears, peeled, cored and sliced
Pastry for 1 (9-inch) double-crust pie*
2 tablespoons butter
1 large egg white
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Combine sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl; add pears and toss to coat evenly.
- Roll pastry dough flat on a floured surface and form two 9-inch circles. Place one circle in a pie pan; add pears and dot with butter. Moisten edges of pie crust and place second circle on top. Cut off any excess pastry and crimp the edges.
- Brush top crust with egg white and sprinkle with sugar. Cut 4 slits in top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 25 minutes (if the edges brown too quickly, cover with aluminum foil).
- Reduce heat to 375°F (190°C) and bake for 20 minutes more or until golden brown and bubbly. Cool before cutting.
Makes 8 servings.
*Use store bought, ready-to-use pie pastry, or your favorite recipe for homemade pie pastry.