Pecan Butter Tarts
Recipe courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1/4 cup pecan flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup tapioca starch
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg yolk
1/4 cup ice water
3 tablespoons canola oil
2 teaspoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/4 cup corn syrup
1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 large egg, slightly beaten
- For Pastry: In a food processor fitted with a medal blade, pulse sorghum flour, pecan flour, cornstarch, tapioca starch, sugar, baking powder and salt until mixed. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolk, ice water, canola oil and vinegar. With food processor running, add egg mixture through feed tube in a slow steady stream. Process until dough is just held together. Do not let it form a ball. Gently gather into a ball and flatten into a disc.
- Place the pastry disc between two sheets of parchment paper. Using quick, firm strokes of the rolling pin, roll out the dough into an 11-inch circle about 1/8 to 1/4-inch thick. Carefully remove the top sheet of parchment paper and cut out tart shells using 4-inch cutter. Ease each into individual cup of muffin or tart tin.
- For Filling: In a bowl, combine butter, canola oil, corn syrup, brown sugar, packed, pecans and vanilla extract. Mix thoroughly. Add egg and mix just until blended. Spoon filling into unbaked pastry shells filling shells two-thirds full.
- Bake at 375°F (190°C) for 15 to 20 minutes or until filling is golden brown. Let cool before removing from pan.
Makes 6 servings.
- Due to the small quantity of ingredients, it is critical to measure accurately.
- Refrigerate the dough for a few minutes if it becomes sticky.
- If the pastry cracks while you're handling it, don't worry; just use the excess to patch. Don't worry about re-rolling the pastry scraps they'll be just as tender the third or fourth time as the first.
- To prevent butter tarts from bubbling over stir filling as little as possible.
- You can freeze the pastry for up to 3 months. Thaw in refrigerator. Bring to room temperature before rolling out.
- For unfilled tart shells: to prevent pastry from shrinking or puffing up, prick bottom and sides with a fork. Bake in preheated oven for 13 to 15 minutes at 375°F (190°C) or until golden. Let cool completely before filling.
Variations: Substitute raisins for the pecans or omit the pecans for a creamier filling.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 400; Total Fat: 21g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 80mg; Total Carbs: 52g; Fiber: 2g; Protein: 4g; Sodium: 290mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.