Pineapple Meringue Pie
This pineapple meringue pie is a mouthwatering tropical twist on a classic.
1 (9-inch) unbaked pie crust*
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple, undrained
3 large egg yolks, slightly beaten
1 tablespoon lemon juice
6 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 large egg whites
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Prepare and bake pie crust; set aside to cool.
- For Filling: In a large saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in pineapple until blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Gradually stir 1 cup hot filling into beaten egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice.
- Pour hot filling into pastry crust. Spread meringue over hot filling, sealing edge to crust.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F (175°C) for 12 to 15 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. Cool completely on a wire rack before cutting. Refrigerate leftovers.
- For Meringue: In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff peaks form.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
*Use store bought, ready-to-use pie pastry, or your favorite recipe for homemade pie pastry.