Quick 'N Lean Golden Apple Pie
For a healthier take on apple pie, try this recipe. Canola oil is used to make a no-cholesterol, poly-unsaturated pastry.
7 Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup canola oil
3 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Prepare Filling: In large bowl, combine apples, sugar, flour, vanilla, cinnamon, and ginger, stirring to blend. Transfer apple mixture to lightly oiled pie 9-inch glass or ceramic pie pan.
- Prepare Canola Pastry: In medium-size bowl, combine flour and salt. With fork, stir in canola oil until thoroughly blended. Add water, stirring until moistened. Form mixture into a ball and flatten slightly.
- Roll pastry between two 12-inch squares of lightly floured waxed paper to make an 11-inch round. Cut round into 3/4-inch strips. On waxed paper, weave a lattice with strips of pastry; slide lattice on to apple filling to cover. Trim edges.
- Bake pie for 15 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 350°F (175°C) and bake 25 to 30 minutes longer or until pastry is golden and apples are tender.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Protein: 3g; Fat: 8g; Carbohydrate: 50g; Fiber: 5g; Sodium: 135mg; Cholesterol: 0; Calories: 273.
Recipe provided courtesy of Washington Apple Commission.