Rustic Red Tart
Recipe courtesy of the Cherry Marketing Institute.
3 large apples such as Jonathan or Macintosh, peeled, thinly sliced (4 cups)
5 tablespoons granulated sugar - divided use
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon - divided use
1 cup dried tart cherries
1 refrigerated rolled pastry for a 9-inch pie (1/2 of a 15-ounce package)
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup tart cherry juice
2 tablespoons honey
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Combine apples, 4 tablespoons of the sugar and 1 teaspoon of the cinnamon in a large bowl; toss well. Stir in cherries. Let stand 10 minutes; tossing once.
- Line a 15x10x1-inch jelly roll pan with foil; coat foil with cooking spray. Unroll pastry onto pan. Mound apple mixture over center of pastry leaving a 3-inch border around edges. Fold up edges of pastry over apple mixture leaving a 4-inch opening in center. Gently fold and press pastry onto apple mixture.
- Cut butter into small pieces and arrange over apple mixture.
- Combine remaining 1 tablespoon granulated sugar and 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon; sprinkle over tart.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until pastry is golden brown and apples are tender. Let stand 20 minutes.
- For Glaze (if using): Combine cherry juice and honey in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat stirring occasionally. Reduce heat; simmer gently 6 to 8 minutes or until slightly thickened and reduced to about 1/4 cup. Cool to room temperature (glaze will thicken upon standing.) Drizzle over tart just before serving.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe with glaze): Calories: 353; Total Fat: 12g; Saturated Fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 12mg; Total Carbs: 60g; Fiber: 4g; Protein: 3g; Sodium: 148mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of the Cherry Marketing Institute.