Strawberry Pineapple Icebox Pie
Old-time icebox pie with a cookie crumb crust topped with a fluffy mousse-like strawberry and pineapple cream filling.
1 1/2 cups vanilla wafer or graham cracker crumbs
1/3 cup butter, melted
1 (3-ounce) box strawberry gelatin
1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple, drained
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- Combine wafer crumbs and butter together thoroughly. Press into 9-inch pie plate. Chill until set.
- Combine gelatin and pineapple in a medium saucepan, stirring until gelatin is dissolved.
- Stir in sugar and the beaten eggs. Heat mixture until it begins to boil; remove from heat and cool completely.
- With an electric mixer, beat heavy cream until stiff; stir in vanilla. Fold into cooled pineapple mixture.
- Pour into prepared pie crust. Chill for 3 to 4 hours before serving.
Makes 8 servings.