Strawberry Cream Pie
Fresh sliced strawberries are layered in a pastry crust and topped with a creamy, homemade vanilla pudding pie filling.
1 (9-inch) baked pie crust*
2 cups milk
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 large egg yolks, beaten
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 cups strawberries, rinsed, dried and sliced - divided use
2 tablespoons strawberry jelly, preserves or jam, warmed
Sweetened whipped cream for accompaniment
- Prepare pie crust; set aside to cool.
- For Filling: In a saucepan over medium scald milk or until tiny bubbles form around the edge of the pan.
- In another saucepan combine sugar, flour and salt. Blend in the milk gradually to the flour mixture. Cook over low heat until thickened, stirring constantly.
- In a small bowl beat egg yolks. Stir a small amount of the hot milk mixture into the beaten egg yolks then return to the hot mixture. Cook for 1 minute then stir in butter and vanilla; cool.
- Slice 4 cups strawberries; reserving 1 cup for garnish. Place the remaining strawberries in baked pie crust. Spread the pudding on top. Chill.
- Just before serving, toss reserved sliced strawberries with warm jelly and spoon atop pie.
- Serve wedges of pie with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
*Use store bought, ready-to-use pie pastry, or your favorite recipe for homemade pie pastry.