Sweet Potato Pie
Down home, sweet Southern comfort—sweet potato pie, perfect for a holiday, or any day!
3 sweet potatoes (approximately 2 1/2 pounds)
4 cups water
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 large eggs, large (remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before use)
1/2 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon banana extract
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 (10-inch) deep-dish unbaked pie crust*
- Peel sweet potatoes; cut into 1 inch chunks. Bring to a boil in water in covered 3 quart saucepan. Reduce heat and cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and discard water.
- Place sweet potatoes in large mixing bowl and beat with electric mixer on high until smoothly mashed. (You should get about 3 cups of sweet potatoes.)
- Cut butter into several small pieces. Add butter pieces to potatoes and beat until thoroughly blended into potatoes.
- In small bowl, whisk together sugar and flour; add to potatoes, beating until blended. Add eggs, cream, banana extract, nutmeg and cinnamon, beating until blended. (Mixture will be thick.)
- Spoon into prepared pie crust and bake in a preheated 350°F (175°C) oven for about 1 hour and 15 minutes or until center of pie is firm.
- Remove pie to cooling rack. Cool completely before serving.
Makes 8 servings.
*Use store bought, ready-to-use pie pastry, or your favorite recipe for homemade pie pastry.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.