Two-Apple Lattice Pie
The pretty checkerboard effect of a lattice crust makes a great presentation. but if time is short this pie can be topped with a traditional whole crust.
Pastry for 1 (9-inch) double-crust pie*
3 cups peeled, cored, and thinly sliced Granny Smith apples
3 cups peeled, cored, and thinly sliced Gala or Golden Delicious apples
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Line a 9-inch pie pan with half of pastry.
- In large bowl, combine apples, sugar, flour, and cinnamon; transfer to pastry-lined pan and dot with butter.
- On lightly floured surface, roll remaining half of pastry to an 11-inch round; cut into 3/4-inch thick strips. On waxed paper, weave a lattice with strips of pastry; slide lattice on to apple filling to cover. Pinch together edges of bottom crust and lattice top to seal. Trim edges.
- Bake pie 15 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 375°F (190°C) and bake 30 to 40 minutes longer or until apples are tender.
Makes 8 servings.
*Use store bought, ready-to-use pie pastry, or your favorite recipe for homemade pie pastry.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Protein: 3g; Fat: 16g; Carbohydrate: 49g; Fiber: 3g; Sodium: 301mg; Cholesterol: 8mg; Calories: 403.
Recipe provided courtesy of Washington Apple Commission.