Zucchini "Apple" Pie
Once the zucchini slices are soaked in vinegar and sugar they can trick you into thinking you are eating apples. Close your eyes, take a bite and test for yourself!
6 cups, peeled, halved, seeded and thinly sliced zucchini
1/4 cup white distiled vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon butter
Pastry for 1 (9-inch) double-crust pie*
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Pour vinegar and lemon juice on top of the zucchini and marinate for 30 minutes; set aside.
- In a separate bowl sift together sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt. Mix with zucchini.
- Trim (uncooked) lower crust even with rim of pie plate. Drain zucchini mixture and place inside of pie dish. Dot with butter; place top crust (it should be a bit thinner than bottom crust) press edges to seal and cut vents in top.
- Bake 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
Makes 8 servings.
*Use store bought, ready-to-use pie pastry, or your favorite recipe for homemade pie pastry.