French Bread Pizza
Traditional toppings are layered atop a split loaf of French bread—'pizza' doesn't get much easier than this, and your family will love it! Add a green salad, something to sip on, and supper is served!
1 (4 x 16-inch) loaf French bread
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup shredded provolone
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
3 ounces pepperoni sausage, diced or thinly sliced
3 ounces ground Italian sausage, cooked and crumbled
4 ounces fresh tomato, seeded and diced
1/2 cup diced onion
1/2 cup sliced ripe olives
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
6 tablespoons pizza sauce, or as desired
2 ounces green pepper, roasted, sliced 1/3-inch thick
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Cut the top quarter from the bread and remove all but a 1/2- to 3/4-inch layer of bread from inside the crust. Place the bread on a baking sheet. Brush the inside with the oil and bake in the oven or broiler until the edges turn golden and the bread dries slightly. This will only take a few minutes.
- Blend the cheeses together in one bowl. In another bowl, combine the sausages, tomatoes, onions, olives, seasonings, and three-fourths of the cheese blend.
- Spread the bread with the pizza sauce. Fill the bread with the sausage mixture, and top with the remaining cheese blend and the roasted peppers.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the ingredients are heated through.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.