Grilled Pizza with Three-Cheese Blend
Grilling pizza is easy, especially when using a pre-baked pizza crust. To ensure the cooking process goes smoothly, have all the ingredients prepped and ready to use prior to grilling. Serve with a green salad tossed with an Italian vinaigrette, wedges of fresh melon or other seasonal fruit and ice cold drinks.
3 large garlic cloves, peeled
3/4 cup Wisconsin whole milk ricotta cheese
1/3 cup Wisconsin Asiago cheese, cubed
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, lightly packed
2 tablespoons milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (10 to 14 ounces) pre-baked Italian pizza crust
2 cups shredded Wisconsin Monterey Jack cheese - divided use
2 medium Roma tomatoes, sliced
8 ounces cooked Italian sausage, broken into small pieces
1 small green bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch strips
Extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat gas or charcoal grill to medium heat.
- In a food processor or blender, process garlic until finely chopped. Add Ricotta, Asiago, basil, milk, salt and pepper; process until basil is finely chopped. Spread on pizza crust to within 1/2-inch of edge.
- Sprinkle 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese over Ricotta mixture. Arrange tomatoes over cheese. Top with sausage. Set aside.
- Brush green pepper strips with olive oil. Grill strips for 5 minutes or until crisp-tender, turning once. Dice green pepper; sprinkle over tomatoes along with remaining Monterey Jack cheese.
- Place pizza on grill, cover and grill over indirect medium heat, rotating once, for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted. Let stand several minutes before cutting.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.