Honey-Cured Ham and Asparagus Pizza
Enjoy the savory taste of ham any day of the week. Simple flavors layered on top of a ready-made pizza dough can be served as a dinner or even part of a brunch. Recipe by David Woolley.
1 1/2 cups honey-cured ham, cubed (8 ounces)
8 ounces asparagus
2 tablespoons butter
1 large onion, cut into thin wedges
1 to 2 tablespoons dry sherry
1 cup roasted garlic Alfredo sauce, or regular Alfredo sauce
1 teaspoon cornmeal
1 (13.8-ounce) package refrigerated pizza dough
1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (6 ounces)
- Snap off and discard woody portions of asparagus. Cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Melt butter in skillet over medium heat. Add onion and asparagus. Cook and stir for 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are almost tender. Stir in sherry. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Grease a 12 or 13-inch pizza pan. Sprinkle with cornmeal.
- Pat pizza dough into pan, rounding corners of dough rectangle to fit pan and building up edges. If desired, snip edges with kitchen shears. Bake about 7 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Spread crust with Alfredo sauce. Top with vegetable mixture and ham. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes more or until golden. Let stand 5 minutes before cutting and serving.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 616 calories; Protein: 32 grams; Fat: 26 grams; Sodium: 1836 milligrams; Cholesterol: 94 milligrams; Saturated Fat: 12 grams; Carbohydrates: 61 grams; Fiber: 2 grams.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Pork, Be Inspired®.