Jerk Chicken Pizza with Mango Salsa
Spicy Jamaican-style barbecue chicken pizza with a red-hot fiery attitude and cool mango salsa to help douse the flaming heat. Recipe by Chef Thomas Catherall, C.M.C.
1/4 cup warm water (105°F to 115°F | 40°C to 45°C)
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
2 teaspoon granulated sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup semolina flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup warm water
1 (4-ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breast half
1 tablespoon jerk seasoning
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 cup slice shiitake mushroom
1/2 cup bottled barbecue sauce
1/4 cup Wisconsin Asiago cheese, grated
1/4 cup shredded Wisconsin Mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup Wisconsin Smoked Mozzarella cheese, grated
1/2 ripe mango, diced
2 tablespoons diced red onion
1 tablespoon diced ripe tomato
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint, basil or cilantro or mixture of all three
- To Make Dough: In a small bowl, combine water, yeast and sugar and stir well to combine. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, semolina flour and salt. Add olive oil to the yeast mixture. Stir well and add to flour. Add additional 1/2 cup warm water. Bring the mass of dough together until a compact ball is formed. Turn dough out onto work surface and knead vigorously for 7 minutes until smooth and satiny.
- Place a small amount of olive oil in a large bowl. Put dough in the bowl and turn it twice to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel. Set the bowl in a warm place. Allow dough to double in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and let stand for 20 to 30 minutes at room temperature before using. Roll dough into a circle about 10 inches in diameter, building up the edges slightly. Place dough on a pizza pan or baking sheet.
- To Prepare Toppings: Coat chicken with jerk seasoning. Heat olive oil in a sauté pan and when hot, sear chicken on both sides. Remove chicken from pan, add mushrooms to pan and sauté them for about 1 minute. Drain liquid from pan. Slice chicken into thin strips.
- To Prepare Salsa: In a small mixing bowl, combine and mix thoroughly all ingredients.
- To Assemble Pizza: Spoon barbecue sauce onto dough. Top with mushrooms and chicken strips. Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake pizza in a preheated 450°F (230°C) oven for 7 to 8 minutes until crust is browned and cheese is golden and bubble. Garnish pizza with mango salsa as soon as pizza is removed from oven.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.