Master Pizza Dough
Homemade pizza crust is easy to make and worth the extra effort just for the taste alone.
5 3/4 to 6 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 (0.25-ounce) package rapid rise or active dry yeast or 2 1/4 teaspoons
2 cups water
1/4 cup olive or vegetable oil
- In large bowl combine 2 cups flour, salt and yeast.
- In small saucepan heat water and olive oil to 125° to 130°F (50° to 55°C). Add dry ingredients; beat 2 minutes with electric mixer at medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally.
- With spoon, stir in enough remaining flour to make soft dough.
- Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, 4 to 6 minutes.
- Cover; let rest 10 minutes for rapid rise yeast; 20 minutes for active dry yeast.
- Divide in half; shape and bake half according to selected recipe. Freeze remaining half.
Makes 2 pizza crusts.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.