New York Style Deluxe Cheese Pizza
This do-it-up-right deluxe New York-style cheese pizza was created by Chef Anthony Procacci.
1 (0.25-ounce) package active dry yeast or 2 1/4 teaspoons
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/4 cup warm water (105°F to 115°F | 40°C to 45°C)
3 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 cup olive oil
3/4 cup warm water
8 ounces pizza sauce
4 cups shredded Wisconsin Whole Milk Mozzarella
1 1/4 cups shredded Wisconsin Provolone
40 slices pepperoni (or as desired)
1/2 cup grated Wisconsin Parmesan
1 tablespoon oregano
- To Make Dough: In a bowl, combine the yeast, sugar, 1/4 cup warm water. Stir well to combine. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour and salt. Add olive oil to yeast mixture and stir well. add oil/yeast mixture to flour and add additional warm water. Knead dough in mixing bowl until a compact ball is formed. Turn dough out onto work surface and knead vigorously for 5 to 6 minutes. Put on teaspoon of olive oil in a bowl. Place dough in a bowl and turn twice to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel and set in warm place until double in bulk (about 1 1/2 hours).
- After dough has doubled, punch down and turn out onto work surface. Knead dough for 2 minutes. (Note: Yield is about 26 ounces of dough. Recipe uses only 20 ounces. Extra dough can be frozen for later use.) Press dough into a flat, lightly oiled 16-inch diameter pizza pan (or 16-inch screen).
- To Assemble Pizza: Spread pizza sauce on dough to within 1/2 inch of edge. Top sauce with mozzarella, pepperoni and provolone.
- Bake pizza in a preheated 500°F (260°C) oven for 8 to 10 minutes until crust is browned and cheese is bubbly and lightly speckled.
- Just before serving, sprinkle top of pizza with Parmesan cheese and oregano.
Makes 10 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.