Two Cheese Pizza
Recipe courtesy of National Diabetes Educational Program.
2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1 (10-ounce) can refrigerated pizza crust
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 small onion, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
4 ounces shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
2 cups chopped mushrooms
1 large red pepper, cut into strips
- Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).
- Spread whole-wheat flour over working surface. Roll out dough with rolling pin to desired crust thickness.
- Coat cookie sheet with cooking spray. Transfer pizza crust to cookie sheet. Brush olive oil over crust.
- Mix the ricotta cheese with the dried basil, onion, garlic, and salt; spread this mixture over crust.
- Sprinkle crust with mozzarella cheese. Top cheese with mushrooms and red pepper.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes until cheese melts and crust is deep golden brown. Cut into 8 slices.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 420; Total Fat: 19g; Saturated Fat: 7g; Cholesterol: 25mg; Total Carbs: 44g; Fiber: 3g; Protein: 20g; Sodium: 580mg; Potassium: 265mg.
Recipe and photograph courtesy of National Diabetes Educational Program.