A Mediterranean-style pizza created by Chef Mike Napelitano.
1 (0.25-ounce) package active dry yeast or 2 1/4 teaspoons
1/4 cup warm water (105°F to 115°F | 40°C to 45°C)
2 cups unbleached flour
1/2 cup stone ground cornmeal
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup warm water
6 plum tomatoes
6 to 8 slices of eggplant, skin on, salted, pressed for one hour
1 tablespoon butter
3 ounces sliced green bell pepper
4 ounces domestic mushrooms
1 1/2 cups shredded Wisconsin Whole Milk Mozzarella cheese
1 cup shredded Wisconsin Provolone cheese
1 tablespoon torn fresh basil
1 clove garlic, crushed
Marjoram, sage and sugar; pinch of each
Salt and ground black pepper, to taste
Marinade for Mushrooms:
1 cup olive oil
1 bay leaf
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
Pinch of thyme and marjoram
- For Dough: In small bowl, dissolve yeast with 1/4 cup warm water and stir well. In large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal and salt. Add olive oil to yeast mixture and stir well. Add yeast/oil mixture to flour. Add 1/2 cup water and stir well. Knead dough in bowl until it comes together into a compact ball. Turn out onto work surface and knead for 5 to 6 minutes until smooth and not sticky.
- Put one teaspoon olive oil in mixing bowl. Place dough in bowl and turn twice to coat with oil. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and a towel; set in warm place to rise until double in bulk (about 1 1/2 hours).
- Punch down dough. Turn out onto work surface; knead for 2 minutes. Roll dough into a circle 12 to 13 inches in diameter (or press out into a flat pizza pan). Cover with a towel. Let rise for 1/2 hour.
- For Topping: Blanch tomatoes for 1 minute in boiling water; peel, seed and crush. Combine with basil/garlic herb mixture.
- Rinse salt from eggplant, pat dry. Lay slice on cookie sheet, brush with olive oil and bake in 425°F (220°C) oven, turning once, for about 1/2 hour until slightly softened.
- Marinate green bell pepper in olive oil/garlic mixture.
- Wash and quarter mushrooms. Sauté in 1 tablespoon butter. Cool and marinate in olive oil/bay leaf mixture.
- To Assemble Pizza: Top in layers listed above.
- Bake on lower rack of a preheated 475°F (245°C) oven for 10 to 12 minutes or until the crust is brown.
Makes 4 (2 slice) servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.