White Bean Hummus and Asiago Pizza
Whole wheat pizza crust topped with sautéed onions, asiago and feta cheeses, arugula dressed in balsamic vinegar, seasoned white bean hummus and shaved Parmesan.
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 (0.25-ounce) package active dry yeast or 2 1/4 teaspoons
12/3 cups warm water (105°F to 115°F | 40°C to 45°C)
33/4 cups flour - divided use
1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons olive oil
White Bean Hummus:
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini beans or other white beans, drained and rinsed
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon tahini (sesame seed paste)
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon Hungarian sweet paprika
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons olive oil
7 cups thinly sliced onions, separated into rings
3/4 cup grated Asiago cheese
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
2 cups trimmed arugula
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup shaved fresh Parmesan cheese
- For the pizza dough, dissolve the sugar and yeast in warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in the flours, salt, and oil to form a soft, wet dough. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes).
- Add enough of the remaining flour, one tablespoon at a time, to prevent the dough from sticking to your hands. Place the dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat the top. Cover the dough, and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, for 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- Punch the dough down, and turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into 6 equal portions; roll each portion of dough into a 7-inch circle.
- Place the pizza crusts on preheated pizza stones or large baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Top and bake according to the recipe directions.
- For the hummus, place all of the ingredients in a food processor, and process until smooth.
- For the toppings and assembly, preheat the oven to 500°F (260°C).
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions; cover and cook 10 minutes or until deep golden, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- Top each prepared crust with 1/2 cup of the onions. Sprinkle with the Asiago and feta cheeses. Bake for 8 minutes or until the crusts are crisp.
- While the pizza is cooking, combine the arugula and the vinegar in a medium bowl. Remove the pizza from the oven; drizzle each with 2 tablespoons of the hummus. Top each pizza with the arugula mixture and the Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 individual pizzas.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.