Wisconsin Pizza Deluxe
This exceptional recipe for the classic deluxe pizza was created by Chef Clay Dinmore.
1 (0.25-ounce) package active dry yeast or 2 1/4 teaspoons
1 cup warm water (110°F to 115°F | 45°C)
2 tablespoons softened unsalted butter
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups shredded Wisconsin Mozzarella cheese
5 to 6 ounces Hunts Extra Heavy Pizza Sauce
1 cup shredded Wisconsin Mozzarella cheese
1 cup shredded Wisconsin Provolone cheese
2/3 cup Wisconsin Romano cheese, grated
1 cup grated Wisconsin Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 ounces fresh mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
1/4 pound sliced pepperoni
6 ounces Italian sausage
- To Make Dough: Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add butter and sugar and combine well until butter is completely melted. Set aside until foamy.
- In the work bowl of a food processor fitted with steel blade, combine the salt, seasoning, flour and cheese. Process for 20 seconds. With motor running, slowly add yeast mixture through the feed tube. The dough should ball up and clean the sides of the work bowl. Add additional flour if necessary to achieve a somewhat sticky (but not wet) texture. Total processing time to knead dough should be about 1 minute.
- Turn the dough out onto a work surface and knead by hand for about 1 minute. Place dough in a lightly floured bowl, cover with plastic wrap and kitchen towel and set in a warm place to rise until double in bulk (about 1 1/2 hours). Punch down dough. Remove from bowl. Knead for 1 minute and stretch or roll dough to fit a 12 to 13 inch pizza pan.
- To Prepare Toppings: Over medium heat, sauté the onions, bell pepper and mushrooms in 2 tablespoons of olive oil until slightly softened. Brown Italian sausage.
- To Assemble Pizza: Combine Mozzarella, Provolone, Romano and Parmesan cheeses. Mix in Italian seasoning.
- Spread toppings over the crust in this order: sauce, meats, cheese blend and sautéed vegetable mixture.
- Bake pizza in a preheated 500°F (260°C) oven for 8 to 10 minutes until crust is brown.
Makes 4 (2 slice) servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, Inc.