Apple Stuffed Pork Chops
Thick and hearty stuffed pork chops with a flavorful apple and ground pork stuffing.
2 apples, peeled, cored and chopped
4 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon ground white pepper
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon ground sage
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon crushed dried thyme
3/4 pound ground pork
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
2 teaspoons garlic cloves, crushed
4 ounces green chile peppers, seeded and chopped
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
6 pork chops, 2-inches thick
- In a food processor or blender, process apples, butter, brown sugar, vanilla and nutmeg until smooth, about 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine salt, onion powder, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, white pepper, dry mustard, sage, cumin, pepper and thyme; set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown ground pork in butter over medium-high heat, about 3 minutes. Reduce to medium heat. Add onions, green bell peppers, garlic, apple mixture and half of prepared seasonings. Stirring well, cook additional 5 minutes. Stir in green chile peppers and continue cooking until mixture is browned, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add chicken broth and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Stir in dry bread crumbs and cook about 2 minutes more, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Cut a large pocket, to the bone, in each pork chop and sprinkle remaining seasoning mix evenly on both sides of the chops and inside the pockets, pressing in by hand. Spoon stuffing into each pocket.
- Bake about 1 hour, or until done. Serve hot.
Makes 6 servings.