Baked Ham with Spiced Apples and Pears
This hickory smoked ham is baked in a spiced, sugarcane glaze with an accompaniment of tart green apples and pears.
1 hickory smoked ham, spiral sliced, 8 to 10 pounds (no bone, water added, cooked)
4 tart green apples
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 cup sugar cane syrup*
1/2 cup dark molasses
1/2 cup dark corn syrup
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon dry mustard
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- For Ham: Place ham on a wire rack in a shallow baking pan. Brush the entire ham with the glaze, coating it evenly.
- Wash, core, and halve the fruit. Place all around the ham.
- Baste the ham a second time and baste the fruit with the glaze. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Baste the ham and fruit again. Bake another 45 minutes.
- Remove the ham from the oven and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve the apples and pears on a platter with the ham. Serve everything warm or at room temperature.
- For Spiced Glaze: Combine the sugar, cane syrup, molasses, corn syrup, nutmeg, cloves, allspice, and cinnamon in a medium-size bowl and mix well.
- In another bowl, dissolve the mustard in the water, then add to the spice mixture. Blend well.
- Use immediately or store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use. Will keep for 2 weeks. Makes 2 1/2 cups.
Makes 10 to 12 servings.
*If unavailabe, bring 1 cup sugar and 1/3 cup water to boil and cook for 2 minutes. Allow to cool thoroughly before using.