Baked Ham with Balsamic Brown Sugar Glaze
Balsamic vinegar, brown sugar and mustard—now that's an easy way to ham it up!
6 to 8-pound fully cooked smoked bone-in ham
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons balsamic or cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
Orange slices, if desired
Maraschino cherries, if desired
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160ºC). Place ham, fat side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert meat thermometer so tip is in thickest part of ham and does not touch bone or rest in fat. Cover loosely and bake 1 hour 15 minutes to 2 hours 15 minutes or until thermometer reads 135°F (13 to 17 minutes per pound).
- About 20 minutes before ham is done, remove from oven. Pour drippings from pan. Remove any skin from ham. Mix brown sugar, vinegar and mustard; pat or brush on ham. Bake uncovered 20 minutes longer.
- Cover ham loosely and let stand about 10 minutes or until thermometer reads 140°F (60°C). Garnish with orange slices and cherries.
Makes 12 servings.
- While the ham stands for 10 minutes, the temperature will continue to rise about 5°F. You'll notice that the ham will be easier to carve as the juices set up.
- Special Touch: Although this ham is delicious on its own, you may want to serve it with honey mustard, horseradish sauce, applesauce or a fruit chutney.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/12 of recipe): Calories 225 (Calories from Fat 55); Total Fat 6g (Saturated Fat 2g, Trans Fat ncg); Cholesterol 60mg; Sodium 1320mg; Total Carbohydrate 20g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars ncg); Protein 23g Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 0%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 2%; Iron 10% Exchanges: 1 Fruit; 0 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 3 Lean Meat.
Recipe and photograph are provided courtesy of Betty Crocker Kitchens and General Mills.