Bring on the “Mojo” Pork Chops
Guy Fieri, celebrity chef and television personality, creates a chop recipe for summertime entertaining. Do not let the ingredients fool you. This quick marinated recipe is a great way to enjoy your backyard grill. Serve with a fresh tomato salad and grilled corn on the cob.
4 bone-in pork rib chops, cut 1 1/4 to 1 1/2-inch thick
1 1/4 cup orange juice
3/4 cup lime juice
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 red onion, chopped (1/4 cup)
2 cloves garlic, chopped (about 1 teaspoon)
1/4 cup white wine
1 cup watercress
1 Roma tomato, chopped
1/2 avocado (ripe), sliced
- Place pork in large, resealable plastic bag. Add 1 cup orange juice, 1/2 cup lime juice, and the vinegar; close bag to seal. Turn bag to evenly coat pork with marinade. Marinate in refrigerator for 30 minutes, turning bag occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in small mixing bowl add and combine all dry spices.
- Lightly oil cold grill rack; preheat gas grill to medium-high. Remove pork from marinade; discard marinade in bag. Sprinkle and rub both sides of chops with spice mixture.
- Grill chops, uncovered, over direct heat for 12 to 16 minutes or until internal temperature of pork reaches 160°F (70°C), turning chops over halfway during grilling. Transfer chops to cutting board. Loosely cover with foil; let rest for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a medium sauté pan, over medium heat, heat olive oil, add onions and sauté for 2 minutes; then add garlic, continue to cook about 1 minute more or until garlic begins to brown. Remove sauté pan from heat. Add remaining 1/4 cup orange juice, 1/4 cup lime juice, and the white wine. Bring to boil; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, until liquid is reduce to half of the amount.
- To serve, pour sauce over chops. Garnish with watercress, tomato and avocado.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 recipe): Calories: 550 calories; Protein: 55 grams; Fat: 29 grams; Sodium: 1440 milligrams; Cholesterol: 150 milligrams; Saturated Fat: 9 grams; Carbohydrates: 12 grams; Fiber: 3 grams.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of National Pork Board.