Broccoli, Mushroom and Ham Casserole
Tender sautéed vegetables complement a casserole of ham and fresh herbs. Serve with a green salad for a hearty, crowd-pleasing dinner.
2 cups ziti pasta
1 cup nonfat milk
4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons minced fresh marjoram
3 sprigs fresh thyme, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 cup small broccoli florets
1 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
1/2 small red bell pepper, julienned
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup chopped cooked ham
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Prepare pasta according to package directions; rinse with cold water and drain well.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Spray a 2-quart casserole with vegetable cooking spray. Place drained pasta in casserole and set aside.
- Combine milk, flour, marjoram and thyme in a small bowl and mix well; set aside.
- Heat a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and sauté onion, broccoli, mushroom, bell pepper, green onion, garlic, salt and pepper for 4 minutes, stirring frequently. Add ham and heat thoroughly, about 2 more minutes. Add reserved milk mixture and stir until thickened, about 4 minutes; do not boil.
- Sprinkle ham mixture over pasta. Sprinkle with cheese and bake uncovered for 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and mixture is hot. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings.