Canadian Bacon Pizza
Turn the kitchen into a pizzeria and get the whole family involved in making pizza. Perfect for family night and movies. Serve with your favorite beverages and a side salad.
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/3 cup chopped green pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 (10.75-ounce) can tomato puree
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
3/4 teaspoon dried whole oregano
1/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Packaged pizza crust for 12-inch pizza
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 pound ground pork or bulk pork sausage
1/4 cup chopped onion
6 ounces Canadian-style bacon
6 to 8 fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 green pepper, sliced into rings
1/4 cup chopped red pepper
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat. Add 1/3 cup chopped green pepper, 1/2 cup chopped onion, garlic and parsley cook, stirring frequently until tender. Add the next 5 ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spread sauce over pizza crust, leaving a 1/2-inch border around edges. Combine cheeses; sprinkle half of cheese over pizza sauce.
- Combine ground pork and 1/4 cup chopped onion in a skillet; cook over medium heat until meat is browned, stirring to crumble. Drain well on paper toweling. Spoon half of pork mixture onto pizza.
- Layer Canadian-style bacon, mushrooms slices and green pepper rings on top of pizza. Sprinkle with the remaining ground pork and chopped red pepper.
- Bake in a 450°F (230°C) oven for 10 minutes.
- Top with the remaining shredded cheese and bake an additional 10 minutes.
Makes 4 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of National Pork Board.