Cider-and-Beer-Braised Pork with Chocolate Molé
Recipe provided courtesy of National Pork Board.
2 1/4 pounds boneless pork shoulder roast (Boston Butt roast), exterior fat removed and cut into 1-inch cubes
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons canola or olive oil
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1 large jalapeño chile, seeds removed and minced
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons whole coriander seeds
2 teaspoons cumin seed
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 teaspoons ancho chile powder
16 ounces lager beer (2 cups)
2 cups apple cider, or juice, pure pressed, pasteurized (not from concentrate)
3 ounces Mexican chocolate, grated or very finely chopped
3 limes, juiced and zested
6 cups hot cooked rice for accompaniment
- Pat pork cubes dry with paper towels; season with salt.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil over medium-high heat in 5 to 6-quart heavy Dutch oven. Add half of the pork. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Using slotted spoon, transfer pork to bowl. Brown remaining pork in remaining 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Add all pork back to Dutch oven.
- Stir in onion, almonds, jalapeño and garlic. Cook, uncovered, over medium-low heat for 5 to 7 minutes or until onion is crisp-tender and translucent. Stir in coriander seed, cumin seed, smoked paprika and ancho chile powder; cook for 1 minute. Add beer and apple cider and bring to a simmer. Cover and gently simmer over medium-low or low heat for 2 hours.
- If desired, cool mixture. Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Spoon and discard fat from top of chilled mixture. Heat mixture over medium-high heat.
- Stir in lime juice and zest, and chocolate into hot mixture. Serve over rice.
- To Plate: Spoon rice into shallow bowls and top with pork in molé sauce.
Makes 8 servings.
Tip: If Mexican chocolate is unavailable, use 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate plus 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon and 3 drops almond extract.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe; 3/4 cup pork molé plus 3/4 cup rice): Calories: 530; Total Fat: 18g; Saturated Fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 75mg; Total Carbs: 57g; Fiber: 4g; Protein: 30g; Sodium: 250mg.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of National Pork Board.