This quick-braised chop recipe is an easy, yet elegant weekday meal.
4 butterfly pork chops, about 1-inch thick
1/4 cup coriander seeds
2 teaspoons cracked black pepper
1 cup diced onion
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced carrots
1 garlic clove, minced
2 sprigs fresh rosemary (or 1/2 teaspoon dry rosemary)
2 bay leaves
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/4 cup white wine
1 cup chicken broth
2 teaspoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons white wine
Fresh cilantro or parsley, to garnish
- Brown coriander seeds in frypan over medium heat. Cool. Crush or grind; mix with pepper and set aside.
- Combine vegetables, rosemary and bay leaves, set aside.
- Sprinkle both sides of chops with crushed coriander and pepper.
- Heat oil in heavy frypan, add chops and brown on both sides. Add vegetables, wine and broth to frypan; cover and simmer 12 to 15 minutes. Remove chops and keep warm.
- Thicken sauce with 2 teaspoons cornstarch mixed with 2 teaspoons white wine.
- Serve sauce with chops. Sprinkle with fresh cilantro or parsley, if desired.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories 260 calories Protein 21 grams Fat 12 grams Sodium 320 milligrams Cholesterol 60 milligrams Saturated Fat 3 grams Carbohydrates 12 grams Fiber 3 grams.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of National Pork Board.