Ham and Broccoli Pie
Cornstarch thickens the sauce for this no-crust, savory ham and broccoli pie.
1/2 pound broccoli florets
1 cup sliced celery
1 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon marjoram
1/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cups milk
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 cup diced, cooked ham
- Simmer broccoli in 1/2-inch water in a covered saucepan for 5 minutes; drain and set aside.
- Saute sliced celery and chopped onion in butter for 3 minutes, or until tender.
- Combine cornstarch, dry mustard, marjoram, grated lemon peel, and pepper in a saucepan. Stir in milk and the onion/celery mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from the heat and add lemon juice, cooked, diced ham, and the cooked broccoli.
- Pour into a lightly greased baking dish and bake at 375°F (190°C) for 35 minutes.
Makes 2 to 3 servings.