Ham Fried Rice
An easy, great-tasting rice, ham and veggie stir-fry. Once the ingredients are prepped, this dish takes only a few minutes to cook.
1 cup water
1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1/4 cup diced onion
2 green onions, thinly sliced on the bias
1/4 pound diced, cooked ham
1/2 cup sugar peas, trimmed
1/2 cup bean sprouts
1 large egg, beaten
Salt and pepper
- Bring water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add rice and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes. Mix with oil. Set aside, uncovered.
- Mix together soy sauce and sugar in a small bowl; set aside.
- Heat a wok or frying pan over medium-high heat. Add peanut oil, and when hot, but not smoking, stir-fry onion for 1 minute.
- Add green onions and continue to cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add ham, sugar peas and bean sprouts and stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Stir in cooked rice. Push ingredients aside, making a hole in the center. Drop the beaten egg into hole and quickly stir in soy sauce mixture. Let egg set up before incorporating with the other ingredients. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, if desired. Serve hot.
Makes 2 servings.