Ham with Cherry Glaze
A ham without a glaze is like a cake without frosting. This simple cherry glaze—using cherry pie filling—turns an ordinary baked ham into holiday fare.
1 (21-ounce) can cherry pie filling
1 teaspoon finely minced gingerroot or 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1 (5 to 6-pound) fully cooked bone-in ham*
1/3 cup water
- Preheat oven to 325°F (160°C).
- For Glaze: In a small saucepan, combine ginger and cherry pie filling. Heat slowly, stirring until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- Bake ham according to package directions or place ham on a rack
in a shallow roasting pan. Insert a meat thermometer into the thickest portion of the meat and cook approximately 15 to 24 minutes per pound or until thermometer registers 140°F (60°C).
- Brush a third of the glaze on the ham 30 minutes before the end of the baking time. Spoon on the remaining glaze every 10 minutes.
- Let stand 15 minutes before carving.
Makes 10 servings.
*Note: Directions are for a bone-in, fully cooked ham. Also called “ready-to-eat” or “heat-and-serve” ham. A “cook-before-eating” ham must be cooked to an internal temperature of 160°F (70°C), approximately 18 to 20 minutes per pound.