"Happy" Pork Steak
Recipe courtesy of the National Pork Board.
6 pork blade steaks (1/2 to 3/4-inch thick), seasoned with salt and ground black pepper
2 tablespoons corn oil, or olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 small white onion, chopped
2 cups uncooked rice
4 plum tomatoes, chopped
2 medium jalapeño chiles, minced
1 cup beer or water
2 cups chicken broth, canned
Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oil in large skillet; add pork. Sear pork on both sides on medium-high heat just until brown, about 1 minute on each side. Remove from skillet and cover loosely with foil.
- Add garlic and onions to skillet. Cook and stir until tender, about 2 minutes scraping up brown bits from bottom of skillet. Add rice, stirring constantly until rice just begins to brown, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, jalapeño chiles, beer and broth or water. Bring to boil; cover. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer 10 minutes.
- Place pork on top of rice; cover. Simmer 8 or 9 minutes until internal temperature on a thermometer reads 145°F (62.7°C).
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro if desired. Serve with corn tortillas.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories: 590; Total Fat: 24g; Saturated Fat: 7g; Cholesterol: 94mg; Total Carbs: 59g; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 30g; Sodium: 570mg.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of National Pork Board.