Marinated Double-Thick Pork Chops
with Sweet Habanero Glaze
Recipe created for Bush's® Grillin' Beans® by Chef Adam Perry Lang, best-selling author of "The World's Most Flavorful Recipes - Now Made Foolproof” (Harper Studio, ©2010) and owner of Daisy May's BBQ USA in NYC.
2 tablespoons sweet onion
2 tablespoons garlic
2 tablespoons chopped red bell pepper
2 tablespoons chopped celery
2 teaspoons celery salt
1 tablespoon garlic salt
2 tablespoons white sugar
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon fresh thyme picked off stems
6 to 8 pork chops
1 tablespoon Old Bay® seasoning
1 tablespoon chipotle chili powder
Freshly ground black pepper
1 to 2 habanero chiles (substitute serrano or jalapeño chiles for less heat), seeds removed and chopped
1/2 cup granulatd (white) sugar
1/4 cup lime juice
1 cup water
1/2 cup very ripe, finely diced mango
3 tablespoons finely chopped Italian flat-leaf parsley
2 tablespoons scallions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons chives, finely chopped
1 (21-ounce) can BUSH'S® Texas Ranchero Grillin' Beans® for accompaniment
- For Marinade: Combine all the marinade ingredients in a large bowl or resealable plastic bag. Mix and crush the ingredients with your hand, directly or through the bag, squeezing them to release the maximum flavor.
- Put the chops in the marinade and let them absorb the flavors for 3 to 24 hours in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Drain the chops and dry with paper towels.
- For Spice Mix: Combine Old Bay® seasoning, chipotle chili powder and freshly ground black pepper and coat the chops.
- For Habanero Glaze: Combine all the habanero glaze ingredients in a large bowl. Brush the chops with the glaze while reserving some for the garnish.
- Put the chops on the well-oiled grill and cook until medium-well.
- Press the chops as needed throughout the cooking process. (An optional technique is to use a foil-wrapped brick or heavy frying pan to maintain grill contact.) Baste during the last minutes and flip the meat as needed.
- Continue to grill until the chops are nicely caramelized and charred on both sides, approximately 8 to 10 minutes per side total, or until the internal temperature reaches 160°F (70°C).
- Garnish with chopped scallions and chives and drizzle with remaining glaze.
- Serve with BUSH'S® Texas Ranchero Grillin' Beans®.
Makes 6 to 8 servings.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of Bush's Beans, through ECES, Inc., Electronic Color Editorial Services.