Parmesan, Bacon, Rice and Summer Squash Casserole
This flavorful dish makes a wonderful addition to a brunch buffet of rolls, muffins and fresh seasonal fruits. Hearty enough for dinner anytime, this casserole can be made the night before and refrigerated until it’s time to fix dinner.
1 pound bacon, diced
1 medium onion, chopped
3 cups cooked rice
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 small zucchini, coarsely shredded
1/3 cup sliced ripe olives
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C)
- Cook bacon in large skillet over medium heat until crisp; remove to paper toweling. Reserve 3 tablespoons drippings.
- Return 1 tablespoon drippings to skillet; add onion, cook and stir for 3 minutes, until soft.
- Spread rice in an 11 3/4 x 7 1/2-inch baking dish; top with half the bacon and onion.
- Combine flour and remaining 2 tablespoons drippings in medium saucepan; mix well. Over medium heat, gradually add milk and cook until thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly. Stir in salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese.
- Pour 1 cup sauce over bacon and rice. Top with zucchini and olives. Sprinkle with remaining bacon; pour remaining sauce over top. Cover tightly with foil; bake 20 minutes, uncover and bake for 15 minutes, until browned and bubbly.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of National Pork Board.