Peppered Pork Pot Roast with Italian Tomato-Herb Sauce
Treat your family to this Italian home-style pork pot roast and vegetables. To serve, pass sauce to spoon over carved roast and vegetables.
1 (2-pound) boneless pork shoulder roast or pork sirloin roast
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
3 celery stalks, thinly sliced
1 (15-ounce) can chunky Italian tomato sauce
1 (14 1/2-ounce) can beef broth
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
4 medium Finnish yellow or Yukon Gold potatoes, quartered
4 medium parsnips, peeled, halved lengthwise and cut into 2-inch pieces
1 medium rutabaga, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/4-inch slices
Beef broth or water, if needed
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water
2 tablespoons minced parsley
3 cups hot cooked orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
- In a large nonstick skillet heat the oil and brown roast on all sides. Remove roast, reserving drippings; set roast aside.
- Add onion and celery to skillet and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Drain off fat. Stir in the tomato sauce, broth and lemon juice. Pour this mixture into a shallow 4-quart casserole.
- Combine peppers and rub on all sides of roast. Place roast on top of onion mixture and cover.
- Bake in a 350°F (175°C) oven for 30 minutes. Remove roast.
- Add the potatoes, parsnips and rutabaga. Set roast on top of vegetables. Bake, covered for 1 hour longer or until both roast and vegetables are tender.Transfer roast and vegetables to a large serving platter; cover with foil and keep warm.
- For the sauce, measure pan juices; skimming fat; add extra broth or water to measure 3 1/2 cups; place in medium saucepan over high heat.
- In small bowl stir together cornstarch in water to dissolve and add to pan saucepan. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Stir in parsley and transfer sauce to a serving bowl. Serve along with hot cooked orzo.
Makes 8 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe): Calories 493 calories Protein 31 grams Fat 13 grams Sodium 516 milligrams Cholesterol 73 milligrams.
Recipe provided courtesy of Pork, Be Inspired®.