Pesto Pork and Cabbage
Moist and flavorful, this recipe takes a bit of work to put together. Your guests will appreciate the effort. Serve with pasta alfredo and steamed mix of vegetables.
1 (1 1/2-pound) boneless pork rib-end roast
6 outer leaves from a large head of cabbage
2/3 cup purchased pesto
1/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 (16-ounce) jar marinara or spaghetti sauce
- In large kettle or Dutch oven, cook cabbage leaves in boiling water for about 2 minutes. Drain. Remove heavy vein. On large piece of waxed paper, arrange cabbage leaves to form a 10x10-inch rectangle.
- Stir together pesto and bread crumbs. Spoon pesto mixture evenly over cabbage leaves leaving 1-inch clear on edges. Place roast, rounded side down, on pesto layer. Bring cabbage and pesto up and around pork roast. (Cabbage leaves may not cover entire bottom of roast). Place bottom-side down on heavy rack in roasting pan. Tuck in ends and sides. Brush with olive oil.
- Bake in 400°F (205°C) oven for 15 minutes.
- Cover roast with foil. Decrease oven temperature to 350°F (175°C) and continue roasting for about 45 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 155°F to 160°F (approximately 65°C to 70°C).
- Remove from oven; let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 6 servings.
Tip: The remaining cabbage can be cut in wedges, steamed and served with meat and sauce....or make into coleslaw using your favorite recipe.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/6 of recipe): Calories 414 calories Protein 31 grams Fat 23 grams Sodium 607 milligrams Cholesterol 68 milligrams.
Recipe provided courtesy of National Pork Board.