Pork & Rice Casserole
Perfect for any night of the week. Complete this dish with steamed broccoli and a green salad.
6 boneless pork loin chops, 3/4-inch thick
2 tablespoons shortening or vegetable oil
2 cups long-grain rice
1 envelope onion soup mix (1/2 of a 2-ounce box)
1 (4-ounce) can sliced mushrooms
1 (2-ounce) jar diced or sliced pimientos, drained
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C)
- In large skillet brown chops, 3 at a time, in hot shortening or oil for 1 to 2 minutes on each side.
- Spread uncooked rice in 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Measure 1 tablespoon dry onion soup mix; set aside. Sprinkle remaining dry onion soup mix over rice.
- Drain mushrooms, reserving liquid. Arrange mushrooms and pimiento over rice.
- Add enough hot water to reserved mushroom liquid to make 3 cups total liquid; pour over rice.
- Arrange chops on top. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon dry onion soup mix. Cover baking dish with foil.
- Bake for 45 minutes (time required to cook rice). Uncover and continue baking until excess liquid evaporates.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Makes 6 servings.
Recipe provided courtesy of National Pork Board.