Pork Roast with Herb Stuffing
An impressive 'company-fare' pork roast to serve dinner guests.
1 (6 to 8-pound) bone-in pork center loin roast
1 tablespoon lemon-pepper seasoning
1 teaspoon dried tarragon leaves
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 bunch green onions with tops, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
1 (8-ounce) package herb-seasoned stuffing
1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley
1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg, beaten
1/2 cup dry sherry
3 tablespoons lemon juice - divided use
1/4 cup honey
Fresh tarragon sprigs (optional)
Lemon slices (optional)
- Combine lemon-pepper, tarragon and salt; mix well and rub onto surfaces of roast.
- For stuffing, melt butter in a large skillet over low heat. Add onions and garlic; cook over medium-high heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Add mushrooms; continue to cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Combine stuffing, parsley, lemon-pepper, tarragon, salt, egg, sherry and 2 tablespoons lemon juice in a large bowl. Add cooked mixture and mix gently.
- Cut slits about 2 inches deep between ribs of roast, without cutting through the opposite side. Pack stuffing into slits.
- Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Place a piece of aluminum foil loosely over top of roast just to cover stuffing.
- Roast at 350°F (175°C) for 20 to 25 minutes per pound or until thermometer registers 155 to 160°F (approximately 65°C to 70°C). Combine honey and remaining tablespoon of lemon juice; brush over roast and stuffing during the last 20 minutes of cooking time.
- Let roast stand for 10 minutes before carving. Garnish with fresh tarragon sprigs and lemon slices, if desired.
Makes 16 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/16 of recipe): Calories 301 calories Protein 28 grams Fat 13 grams Sodium 719 milligrams Cholesterol 94 milligrams.
Recipe provided courtesy of National Pork Board.