South of the Border Ham Tamale Pie
Ham puts a tasty spin on a favorite South-of-the-Border dish, and ready-to-use refrigerated polenta makes it a snap to prepare.
2 cups cubed ham
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1/2 cup bottled chunky-style salsa
1 (16-ounce) tube refrigerated polenta with Mexican peppers, or desired flavor
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack and pepper cheese
Nonstick cooking spray
- Combine tomato sauce and salsa in a medium saucepan. Stir in ham; heat through.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C). Coat a 2-quart rectangular baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Cut tube of polenta into 8 slices. Arrange polenta slices in prepared baking dish. Spoon salsa mixture over polenta.
- Bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes or until heated through.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
- Bake for 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted.
Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/4 of recipe): Calories: 326 calories; Protein: 28 grams; Fat: 14 grams; Sodium: 1817 milligrams; Cholesterol: 69 milligrams; Saturated Fat: 7 grams; Carbohydrates: 25 grams; Fiber: 2 grams.
Recipe and photograph provided courtesy of National Pork Board.